 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15297
Re: Talking point: beacon light on or off while robot in motion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:18:28 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:
Frankly, I'm going to lock the rules if I don't see anything else on it.  Bricks
for the wall, light goes off.

Hey, I have a lot more to say, but I've been one, busy, and two, very
sick.  I don't think the discussion needs to be instantaneous, this is a
message board, not a phone call.

If you want to end discussion, then set a date for it, don't just
arbitrarily end it.

It's not you, it's the rest of these folks:  Where's all the proponents of this
game Chris so triumphantly paraded like contestants in a beauty pageant?  DaveK?
JohnG?  Iain?

Or are they all just happy to accept?

I'd like to freeze the ruleset by end of next week.

Calum

Far be it for me to disagree, but here's the thing...

If it were me, I'd make the note that we're being a little too finicky on these
rulesets.  rtl competition rules were always framed to allow maximum freedom for
what you wanted to build, with very little constraints.  Besides the size
restirction, which we have used for most of our 'moving 'bot competitions, we
didn't use many other rules--When it came to c$, the constraint was a regulated
way for the 'bot to tell the other one when it was done its turn.

Now watch out!  Here comes 'da rulz'--

When your 'bot is moving, you have the light.  When your 'bot is stopped, no
light (or whatever)

Here's the thing--

We have the size constraint.

We have the opening constraint

All else, per user basis.  I'm back to what Chris stated earlier--the evolution
of this game is co-operation with one another.  It's in the best interest of
everyone to say how they are doing it.

That said, to lock in the idea that the light has to be on when not moving nad
off when moving is, from this neck of the woods, ludicrous.

Besides adding rules where no rules are needed or warranted, you're makoing me
use up a very valuable motor port!  I can see me doing this competition with 1
RCX--2 motor outputs for movement and one output for the block moving.

Adding this rule makes it 4 outputs.  But that's just me.

Scrap the rule.  That's my vote.  The rules should be size restrictions and
opening size/placement.  Everything else is just exrtraneous.

We've done 20ish of these things and we never have 'miromanaged' the rules
before--why start now?

Dave K
-who really didn't want to be dragged into this quite in this fashion.  We have
3 months til the competiton and 'locking the rulz' in now is also absurd.