 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15289
Talking point: beacon light on or off while robot in motion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 02:40:31 GMT

Calum,

I would be willing to concede the point of not allowing the beacon light
to be always on, if, you would be willing to accept a robot, who did not
ever turn on the light.

My thinking is this:

Your argument was based on the idea that a robot in motion with a beacon
  light on, would  confuse the basic robot who would assume a light on
to mean a robot was not moving, and thus able to receive a block.

I would like to suggest, that if a person so chooses, they dont have to
turn on the light while stopped OR in motion.   This would negate your
argument of offering a "false positive" to a basic robot, because with
no light on during either motion or standing still, this robot would be
"invisible" to the basic robot, and thus, not a target.

This would also allow, for other builders to implement some other form
of beacon as you had suggested in this post:

http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=15264

---snip----

Let me propose a different solution:  If you believe in Chris' social
experiment, how about you propose your own "moving robot beacon" light,
eg, on
the bottom of the robot near the ground?  Anyone who wanted to find you and
feels they can track you satisfactorily, should watch there and also keep a
light on down there.

You can post it on this newsgroup and see if anyone bites.  Those of us
people
who find it "to" hard, won't use it, and continue with the light as
specified to
be on when stopped.

I look forward to your reply

Chris