 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11813
Re: .rtlToronto Stats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 16:06:24 GMT

I wish there was somethign opposite of stalking, like erasing all remaining
vestiges of ex's,

Restraining orders are about as close as you can legally get.  Murder goes a bit
further, but...

And while I'm off the fence, there's this river that follows, well, river
road, and you're driving along, enjoying the view of the escarpment and the
trees and the little shops and then there's this god-ugly chain link fence
for 2 km just outside of town, enclosing the river inside.  I didn't think
that was allowed--a person can't own the river--it's a public 'byway', if I
recall correctly.  And it's not as if the river is so far on the property--
its right next to 'river road'!

I don't know how it works in Canada, but we have a similar situation right here
in the city where I live.  Some rich guy set up house on Lake Michigan (and even
went so far as to construct a guest house right on the sand dunes...which is
probably against the international waterways laws...except that noone seems to
agree on whether the restricted boundary is where your feet are always wet,
where lapping waves will reach, or the "high water" mark typically signified by
where the beach grass stops growing).  Anyways, this city eventually realized
that they'd sold off all of the Lake Michigan beachfront property within city
limits to private individuals, so there was no place to set up a public beach.
Furthermore, the lighthouse is something of a famous landmark, and this
particular piece of property happens to be right next to it.  At some point, the
owner put up a big fence with a security guard who was forbidding anyone to walk
across his property to get to the lighthouse, but when it went to court it was
ruled that if anyone wanted to go to the lighthouse, the law required that they
be granted access (even if it meant being escorted across the property both
ways) because there was no convenient public accessway to that lighthouse (short
of driving miles south of town and hoofing it back up the beach, that is).
However, he's not required to not have fences obstructing free "at will" access,
which suggests that your guy might be fully within his rights to block off
public access to the turf that he owns on either side of the river, if he does
legitimately own that property, and since you'd only have to hike ~1km from
either end to reach the center.  And maybe he set it up as some sort of a public
service, to keep stumbling drunks from wobbling into the river from his
property.

I'm gonna take my canoe and do me a little excercise in seeing jsut where
the law stands on this.

Just remember that the law does not prevent him from shooting at you if he's so
inclined (it can be used to punish him after the fact, but unless you've got an
attentive police officer standing next to him the entire time, that won't help
you much if he's a really good shot).  I worked for a boat builder who once told
me of a trans-continental bike trip that he participated in for the US
bicententennial (dip the back tire in one ocean and the front tire in the
other).  When he was going through Tennessee, on public roads, someone up in the
hills took a few shots at a group of them.  Was it legal?  Heck no.  Did that
stop Mr. Whackjob?  Heck no.

Will I be trespassing?

That could actually depend on the size of the river in question.  If it's a
large river that can be legitimately used as a throughway, it could be public
property.  If it's just deep enough to wrestle a canoe through, it might have
been ceded over as private property.  I'm guessing from the description that
it's actually big enough to at least accomodate a self-powered dinghy, so it
probably is public property.  Of course, that doesn't mean this guy knows it is.

-who just ordered Babylon 5 movie set on DVD.

Ugh.  I'm getting way behind on DVDs.  I still haven't picked up B5.5 or the
first B:TAS boxed set, R1 season 4 of Futurama is _finally_ due out this month,
and both the original SW trilogy and the final LotR EE are coming later this
year, as is, I believe, the original batch of Clone Wars shorts.