 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11808
Re: .rtlToronto Stats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 14:15:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

Oh yeah, we love it, without a doubt. Start calling Owen Sound just "the Sound",
and Hanover... "Hangover", and Elmwood... "Elwood" and heck before you know it,

Is it me or everyone in Canada renames their hometown to something?

Kingston = K-Town
Kitchener/Waterloo = KW
Kapuskasing = Kap
Winnipeg = The Peg
Scarborough = Scarberia
St Catherines = St Kitts

People from St. Kitts are quite adamant about people spelling their city name
properly--I even recall a fleet of trucks that had "St. Catharines--Give this
city an 'A'!" plastered on the back doors.

Etobicoke = The 'Hood

Hamilton = Steeltown
Winona = Winona--the name is as good as it gets, so why change it?

(okay, I made the last one up.  No one EVER renames Etobicoke)

Chris is it just an oversight?  I didn't see your name on the list of those
attending BrickFest.

Chris has pointedly given significant public ridicule to BrickFest, citing it as
a sweaty nerd gathering. :)  I look at it as a reason to drive somewhere with
friends and meet up with people I haven't seen in a while.

Or soon-to-be-friends whom I've never met.

Okay, so I'm only going because I have an obsession with James Mathis.  (What?!
James Mathis isn't going!?  For the love of crimony!) :)

What?? Cancel my plans...

Janey "Red Brick" (not that I'm stalking or anything)

No, stalking would be writing a perl script to grep webserver logs and matching
them against possible IP subnets that your ex-girlfr....oh I shouldn't talk
about that...

Calum

I wish there was somethign opposite of stalking, like erasing all remaining
vestiges of ex's, but then I'd have to stop listening to U2, dump the canoe and
camping gear, and most definitly throw out the LEGO bricks--and that's just not
gonna happen

Speaking of long weekends, since we were, indeed, speaking of them--

I was doing the summer rollout in the Georgetown branch for work on Friday.  The
people kicked me out at noon 'cause they wanted to wax the floors, so with tears
in my eyes I proceeded into the sunset--well, it was noon and hte sun wasn't in
my eyes, but I proceeded from Georgetown towards the Muskokas, taking the 'long
way' there, and drove thru a little town, village, well, basically just a street
called Belfountain.  Oh My Goodness!!  I am definitly going to look at acqiring
real-estate there when and if I reach retirement age.

THere was some jackass just outside of town who decided to wrap his entire
property with chain-ling and barbed wire.  Normally I wouldn't care but the rest
of the place is 'au-naturale' and rustic and hten we get some
'i-have-too-much-money-and-no-brains' idiot who, whilst spending what looks like
an obscene amount of money on landscaping and wrought iron gates, et all, didn't
seem to take that idea to the fence following the main road.  Jackass.  And
while I'm off the fence, there's this river that follows, well, river road, and
you're driving along, enjoying the view of the escarpment and the trees and the
little shops and then there's this god-ugly chain link fence for 2 km just
outside of town, enclosing the river inside.  I didn't think that was allowed--a
person can't own the river--it's a public 'byway', if I recall correctly.  And
it's not as if the river is so far on the property--its right next to 'river
road'!  I'm gonna take my canoe and do me a little excercise in seeing jsut
where the law stands on this.  Will I be trespassing?  THe guy who owns the
joint is still a Grade A jackass.  Did I say that already?  Reiterate just in
case he didn't get it--jackass.  Felt like hopping the fence and shaking my fist
at the house (which you can't see from the road or the river, btw)--'What gives
you the right to fence mother nature in and keep all the people out??'

Anyway, other than the jackass, I had a great weekend.  Took Regional Road 18
thru a bunch of little towns and even drove thru CFB Borden and then into Angus.
There's a town.  Then up to Bracebridge, where I partook in that great Canadian
past time--long weekend 'doin' nuttin'.  'What do you wanna do?'  'Nuttin''.
Well, this nuttin' took the form of at least two dives, both in the Muskoka
river, where skateboards, golfballs, traffic cones, and fishing rods were found,
and salvaged, by the Dave-Chuck-Joe Underwater Salvage Co., wrestling in the
rapids, eating lotsa burgers, and generally having a great long weekend.

And then back to here to see a million and one posts.  Was good to come home to.

So there you are.

Dave K
-who just ordered Babylon 5 movie set on DVD.  Life, as someone keeps on saying,
is good.