 Off-Topic / Fun / 8592
Re: LoTR v. Harry Potter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 00:28:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:

Has JK Rowling read J.R.R. Tolkien--undoubtedly.  Is Harry Potter still an
original work of genius?  I think it is.

Original? Certainly (barring some peculiar name similarity previously
discussed here). Genius?  Well, let's just say that "genius" is one of the
most criminally overused words in the language.

I stand by my characterization.  Did you happen to walk around on Halloween
night?  There were LEGIONS of kids wearing wizard costumes.  The story has
struck a chord with the children of the world to such an amazing extent that
they are actually reading instead of staring at TV, movies, or computer screens.