 Local / United Kingdom / 7471
Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 08:54:06 GMT

saw the film last night and words fail me in a family newsgroup like this to
adequately describe how dire it was. If it was indeed as close to the book
as some say I'm suprised its only Neil Gaiman who is (apparently) suing.
There wasn't one original concept in the entire thing. Harry was wooden, the
girl overacted terribly and needed to condition her hair badly, the guy
playing Ron appeared to be the only convincing one there. The effects while
well done (appart from the Quiddich match which looed bloe screened to hell
and back) had no 'Wow' factor and although the story moved happily along
there was no real tension build up, and (not to spoil the ending) the final
scene was over in like 5 seconds with no real struggle or sence of
achivement.

OK must say some nice things. Alan Rickman and Robbie Coltrain were
predictably very good, far better than the story deserved, and err oh yes
the popcorn was nice and its worth going to see for the Lord of the Rings
trailer

Oh and it was nice to see how accurate the Lego Hagrids Hut is to the film
version

And (getting his flame proof undies on) I know its a childrens book/film but
thats no excuse. There are fantastic childrens books/films out there. This
was just not very good and terribly unoriginal to boot. Harry Potter and the
abject pile of plagiarised rubbish more like :)

--
James Stacey
---------

#925 - I'm a citizen of Legoland travelling Incommunicado

"Huw Millington" <hmillington@cix.co.uk> wrote in message
I'm glad to say it does live up to all the hype. Everything shown is • exactly
as I imagined it to be, having read the books. My only reservation is • that,
understandably, the story has been abbreviated, so consequently some of • the
characters or scenes do not have the significance they do in the book. I
won't say too much in order not so spoil it for you.

I'd be interested to hear from people who have not read the book what they
think of it...

Go and see it ASAP!

Huw