 Off-Topic / Fun / 8572
Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 04:59:55 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Dave Schuler writes:
Speaking as an outsider, since I haven't read more than a few pages of
Potter (though I'm casually familiar with the overall plot), I would suggest
that one of Rowlings' greatest virtues is that the vast story she's crafted
is one of very, very few 20th century works of Western fantasy that isn't
heavily derivative of Tolkien, the Arthurian myth, or Greco-Roman mythology.

I'm an outsider, too, but if you remember what was on the children's fantasy
list 20 years ago, there were a tremendous number of books about witchcraft,
not derivative of those things either. Susan Cooper doesn't count (too
Arthurian) but there were John Bellairs, Mary Norton, Edith Nesbit, Edward
Eager, all writing about kids and witchcraft without those things. You might
call it the Victorian Witchcraft tradition. It's really a rich mine already,
as librarians are happy to point out (to the delight of pestered parents).
Not to mention Ursula K. Le Guin!