 Off-Topic / Fun / 8584
8583  |  8585
Subject:
LoTR v. Harry Potter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 19:07:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, James Stacey writes:
And no you're right [HP] doesn't copy LotR at all lets look at the facts • :)

HP: Young wizard Harry joins three others of his kind to protect the • world
from all-powerful evil.
LOTR: Young hobbit Frodo joins three others of his kind to protect the • world
from all-powerful evil.
snip

and James goes on to give several other striking similarities.  I am 30
years old, and I have read the Hobbit, LoTR, and most all of JRR Tolkien's
other related works, as well as most of Christopher Tolkien's scholarship on
his father's writings.  I have also read and enjoyed the first four Harry
Potter books.

Certainly there are elements common to both works.  But these elements are
present in various forms in MANY other places in the oral and written
literature of the world...Roman, Greek, Summerian, Norse, Egyptian myth and
legend, Shakespeare, Milton, Melville, etc.  Certain ideas are so nearly
universal that you could almost call them specieist or human.

Tolkien comandeered those central, legendary ideas in a way that resounded
with readers.  His works were written the 40's and earlier, and became
popular in the 60's.  When I first tried to read LoTR at age 12, I was
turned aside by too many big words and dated usages and forms I did not
understand.  When I came back to the works years later, with a college
education and the mind of an adult, I appreciated Tolkien's style much more.

The point of all this?  This is it--Harry Potter commandeers those universal
story elements and puts them in a modern context in a way that kids can
appreciate.  Can you imagine a BOOK competing with TV and computer games for
the imagination, and attention spans, of kids all over?  That is a neat
piece of work.  Harry is accessible to the young, modern reader in a way
Frodo is not.

Has JK Rowling read J.R.R. Tolkien--undoubtedly.  Is Harry Potter still an
original work of genius?  I think it is.