 Off-Topic / Fun / 8575
Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 13:08:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, James Stacey writes:
And no you're right [HP] doesn't copy LotR at all lets look at the facts :)

HP: Young wizard Harry joins three others of his kind to protect the world
from all-powerful evil.
LOTR: Young hobbit Frodo joins three others of his kind to protect the world
from all-powerful evil.

  So, any time four characters unite against a powerful enemy, it's derivative
of Tolkien?

HP: Heroic sorcerer Dumbledore is wise, kindly, silver-haired old man who
battled the story's villain long ago.
LOTR: Heroic sorcerer Gandalf is wise, kindly, silver-haired old man who
battled the story's villain long ago.

  So, any time an old character has a pre-story history with the enemy, it's
derivative of Tolkien?  And I would point out that Gandalf isn't especially
"kindly."

HP: Bad guy Voldemort has one name, is virtually impossible to kill, takes
over the minds of his slaves (whom he abandons when necessary) and must
capture an enchanted stone to rule forever.
LOTR: Bad guy Sauron has one name, is virtually impossible to kill, takes
over the minds of his slaves (whom he abandons when necessary) and must
capture an enchanted ring to rule forever.

  So, any time a villain has a single name, has enslaved thralls, and quests
for an object, it's derivative of Tolkien?

HP: Non-magical humans are usually complacent fatheads who can't imagine
that a nearly omnipotent malefactor is preparing to terrorize them.
LOTR: Non-hobbit humans are usually complacent fatheads who can't imagine
that a nearly omnipotent malefactor is preparing to terrorize them.

  So, any time the background players aren't involved in/aware of the danger,
it's derivative of Tolkien?

HP: Hero is interfered with by slimy, envious Draco, who puts obstacles in
his path and unknowingly aids Dark Lord Voldemort.
LOTR: Hero is interfered with by slimy, envious Gollum, who puts obstacles
in his path and unknowingly aids Dark Lord Sauron.

  So, any time an antagonist prevents the protagonist from reaching his goal,
it's derivative of Tolkien?

HP: Written by British author who uses initial J instead of a first name.
LOTR: Written by British author who uses initial J instead of a first name.
Coincidence? You decide.

  Well, you're obviously on the right track with this one!
Here are a few you missed:
HP: Main protagonist is male
LOTR: Main protagonist is male

HP: Main character has a wand (an obviously phallic image)
LOTR: Main character has a sword (an obviously phallic image)

HP: Main character has a broomstick (traditionally
    associated with female witches)
LOTR: Main character has a Ring (a traditionally vaginal
    image, therefore female)

HP: Main character has glasses that improve his vision
LOTR: Main character has a Ring that, among other things,
    improves his vision

HP: Harry Potter has brown hair
LOTR: Frodo Baggins has brown hair

HP: Harry Potter is short of stature
LOTR: Frodo Baggins is short of stature

HP: So far, there are four main books
LOTR: Including "The Hobbit," there are four main books

HP: Characters use magic
LOTR: Characters use magic

HP: Written by a person using primarily English words
LOTR: Written by a person using primarily English words

HP: Read by people
LOTR: Read by people

HP: Turned into a film
LOTR: Turned into a film

With all this additional evidence, it's difficult to deny that HP is a
page-for-page copy of Lord of the Rings!  How could I have missed it?!
  My point is that, if you use selective observation as you have done, it's
easy to make any work appear to be derivative of any other.

     Dave!