 Off-Topic / Fun / 8583
Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:25:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Erik Olson writes:

Asimov's magazine (arrived yesterday) carries an article contrasting polar
opposites Tolkien and ... Mervyn Peake (_Gormenghast_). Somehow I have
managed to delay learning more than how to spell that, and this columnist
considers him the "other" branch of modern fantasy (no orcs, trolls, or
dragons need apply.)

  Hmm.. Another great point.  Maybe I should reduce the "absoluteness" of my
earlier comment, and say simply that many post-Tolkien writers are very
heavily influenced by him.  How's that for non-commital?!   8^)

Of course, if one wishes to extend the discussion to cover "weird fantasy,"
then obviously Lord Dunsany and Lovecraft are two writers not notably
influenced by Tolkien!

Being alive to read Tolkien upon publication would be part of that...

  Feh!  Time and space are surely no boundaries to writers such as these.

On infuences from another point of view...

I like Thomas Disch' s chapter title "Poe: Our Embarassing Ancestor". In
which he blames Edgar Allen Poe for the major shallow themes of 20th century
imaginative fiction.

  Interesting.  I don't know that Disch is correct to "blame" Poe for
anything, insofar as "blame" in this context seems to imply fault.  Poe can
indeed be identified as the first to employ many themes that have by now
become shallow, but that's hindsight for you.

     Dave!