 Off-Topic / Fun / 8573
Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:56:51 GMT

I fully agree that lending aspects from other litriture or sources is valid
and can lead to greater creativity and fantastic works. Shakespear's plays
were nearly all reworkings of existing stories, Tolkiens LotR contains many
aspects and concepts from Norse Mythology. The key is if its done well. The
Sword of 'Sha na na' -Terry Brookes - is a good example, It copies almost
verbatim LotR's - badly. Fantasy is a very difficult genre to enter as it is
very difficult to come up with a new concept, a fresh idea, and very few
succeed. And I know its a childrens book/film but that dosen't hide the fact
its fundamentally bad.(IMO) If a book/film has taken influence from
elsewhere, it shouldn't jar and be to obvious. And no your right it doesn't
copy LotR at all lets look at the facts :)

HP: Young wizard Harry joins three others of his kind to protect the world
from all-powerful evil.
LOTR: Young hobbit Frodo joins three others of his kind to protect the world
from all-powerful evil.

HP: Heroic sorcerer Dumbledore is wise, kindly, silver-haired old man who
battled the story's villain long ago.
LOTR: Heroic sorcerer Gandalf is wise, kindly, silver-haired old man who
battled the story's villain long ago.

HP: Bad guy Voldemort has one name, is virtually impossible to kill, takes
over the minds of his slaves (whom he abandons when necessary) and must
capture an enchanted stone to rule forever.
LOTR: Bad guy Sauron has one name, is virtually impossible to kill, takes
over the minds of his slaves (whom he abandons when necessary) and must
capture an enchanted ring to rule forever.

HP: Non-magical humans are usually complacent fatheads who can't imagine
that a nearly omnipotent malefactor is preparing to terrorize them.
LOTR: Non-hobbit humans are usually complacent fatheads who can't imagine
that a nearly omnipotent malefactor is preparing to terrorize them.

HP: Hero is interfered with by slimy, envious Draco, who puts obstacles in
his path and unknowingly aids Dark Lord Voldemort.
LOTR: Hero is interfered with by slimy, envious Gollum, who puts obstacles
in his path and unknowingly aids Dark Lord Sauron.

HP: Written by British author who uses initial J instead of a first name.
LOTR: Written by British author who uses initial J instead of a first name.
Coincidence? You decide.
--
James Stacey
---------
#925 - I'm a citizen of Legoland travelling Incommunicado

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.loc.uk, Michael LeCount writes:
And (getting his flame proof undies on) I know its a childrens book/film • but
thats no excuse. There are fantastic childrens books/films out there. • This
was just not very good and terribly unoriginal to boot. Harry Potter and • the
abject pile of plagiarised rubbish more like :)

Show me any book that is totally original. As a childrens book, which as • you
point out it is, I have to say that the series is building up to be an
impressive set of books with the prisoner of Azkaban being my favourite • so
far.

  Speaking as an outsider, since I haven't read more than a few pages of
Potter (though I'm casually familiar with the overall plot), I would • suggest
that one of Rowlings' greatest virtues is that the vast story she's • crafted
is one of very, very few 20th century works of Western fantasy that isn't
heavily derivative of Tolkien, the Arthurian myth, or Greco-Roman • mythology.
To single it out as plagiarization is to overlook a great opportunity to
deflate the entire fantasy "literature" industry as a recirculation of a
miniscule number of plot and character archetypes.  Potter may not be • brand
new on all counts, but Michael is correct to point out that very little • is,
and those few works that *are* totally new are generally commercial • failures.

     Dave!