 Local / United Kingdom / 7478
Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 21:43:30 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Michael LeCount writes:
And (getting his flame proof undies on) I know its a childrens book/film but
thats no excuse. There are fantastic childrens books/films out there. This
was just not very good and terribly unoriginal to boot. Harry Potter and the
abject pile of plagiarised rubbish more like :)

Show me any book that is totally original. As a childrens book, which as you
point out it is, I have to say that the series is building up to be an
impressive set of books with the prisoner of Azkaban being my favourite so
far.

  Speaking as an outsider, since I haven't read more than a few pages of
Potter (though I'm casually familiar with the overall plot), I would suggest
that one of Rowlings' greatest virtues is that the vast story she's crafted
is one of very, very few 20th century works of Western fantasy that isn't
heavily derivative of Tolkien, the Arthurian myth, or Greco-Roman mythology.
To single it out as plagiarization is to overlook a great opportunity to
deflate the entire fantasy "literature" industry as a recirculation of a
miniscule number of plot and character archetypes.  Potter may not be brand
new on all counts, but Michael is correct to point out that very little is,
and those few works that *are* totally new are generally commercial failures.

     Dave!