 Local / United Kingdom / 7480
Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 12:51:49 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Darth Joules writes:
Besides Lord Of The Rings dumps on HP from a very high height indeed.

I am an outsider on both counts as I am someone that would prefer to read
the source mythology over most fantasy fiction in the first place, but even
I am excited by the LOTR movie.  LOTR has stood the test of time, and while
I somehow never got around to reading it, I am sure I can enjoy 2 hrs. or so
of a mythologically derivative work -- esp. if it appropriates material from
the Norse myths.  As it happens, I love the Norse myths! Hell, I even
enjoyed "The 13th Warrior" and it was just a thinly veiled telling of Beowulf.

The previews I have seen of LOTR look just SO well done too.  I can easily
pass on HP if LOTR is just a few weeks up the road.  Maybe I'll rent HP on
DVD next year.  My precise plan for the next SW film too...

BTW, there is another part of this thread that is going off on the question
of a literary work's value based on how original/unoriginal it may be -- I
recall from 18-20 years ago that a UCLA English professor was offering a
reward for anyone that could conceive of a storyline beyond some 10-12 basic
storylines the professor had identified.  Over several years I found that
his list was essentially complete -- there are no new stories tell.  I wish
I had the list to hand I'd transcribe it for y'all -- alas, it is buried in
my papers somewhere...still you might easily admit that such a thing is
probably true. I recall that there are some 4 basic conflicts identified in
most literature: man against himself, man against nature, man against man,
and man aginst the unknown.  That leaves everything that makes a literary
work good to the artistry of words and the author's unique sense of style.
Since most authors suck, I like my stuff as pared back as most mythology
tends to be, down to just the basic plot lines.  Most of the authors I DO
like are very heavy on style: William Burroughs, J.G. Ballard, Anthony
Burgess, etc.

-- Hop-Frog