 Off-Topic / Fun / 7288
Re: Virtues of Veganism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 18:31:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Daniel Jassim writes:

There are a lot noble and ethically sound principles with vegetarianism,
namely that food should be healthy and free of toxins and that animals not
be mistreated. In my opinion, killing animals for food is not mistreatment
if the animal was raised without cruelity and death was humane (quick and as
painless as possible). Also, no animal should be imprisoned and be subjected
to torturous experiments.

  Where were you a year ago?!  We had this shooting match then, and another
participant would have been welcome!  8^)

It is interesting to note that people in most non-Western countries
(especially Third World countries) have diets that are closely vegetarian.
They often have staples of rice and beans as well as local fruits and
veggies. Meat is served more as a side dish and eaten maybe once a week,
with exception of most coastal Asian cultures that eat fish daily.

  It is more interesting to me that this is often a result of economic
conditions rather than some prevailing morality.  It has been demonstrated
(I'll try and find the cite, but it was on paper and I've never sought it on
the web) that modern societies that suddenly become more economically secure
invariably add more meat to their diets when possible.  Various religious
may have their own prohibitions, but I don't accept that there's something
more fundamentally vegan about non-Western countries.

     Dave!