 Off-Topic / Debate / 10765
Re: Virtues of Veganism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:32:43 GMT

Daniel Jassim wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher Tracey writes:

I've noticed there is a recent trend in vegetarian magazines (i.e.
Vegetarian Times) to adopt a more earth conscience attitude in their
articles/advertisments.  I think a major push for this was when the USDA
was developing an organic food standard (2-3 years ago).  Articles about
organic food were present in every issue of the magazine for a while.
I've seen many letters to the editor in the magazine from readers who
are dismayed about the trend and just want articles about food.

That's weird. Do you think the readers thought that the "organic" thing was
being overdone? I think some things WERE overdone back in the days, like the
big fiber kick in the late 70's. Stuff like that contributed to the
stereotype of the tree huggin', granola eating hippie vegetarian. Hey, that
was the opinion I had throughout my childhood and as a teen: vegetarians
were twig eating weirdos.

As a child I thought the same thing.  I did have a cool aunt who was
vegetarian(but she eat meat on pizza???) which made me think some
vegetarians were cool.

What I dislike are the "I'm a vegetarian, but I eat chicken(or other
non-veg product)" people.  The word 'vegetarian' used to mean what
'vegan' means today, yet it was quickly diluted by vegetarians eating
cheese and milk.  Some time ago it got the new defination (at least by
the general public) as eating vegetables and the occasional bit of
chicken or fish.  Last year, someone I knew refered to her friends as
'vegan's but they eat cheese.'  The cycle starts again.  :/

Hah! Yeah, I think may fit that category but there's good reason. I
initially became a "vegetarian" after taking a holistic health course in
junior college. My instructor taught that there were different categories of
vegetarians, a few of which I remember:

*vegans - no meat or animal products
*lacto vegetarians - no meat, but will eat dairy products
*ova vegetarians - no meat or dairy, but will eat eggs
*ovalacto vegetarians - no meat, but will eat dairy products and eggs
*part-time vegetarians - no red meat, but will eat dairy, eggs, fish or
poultry occassionally

People can argue the legitimacy of these categories as much as they wish,
I'm just indicating my starting point. I also learned of the cruelity to
animals and didn't want to contribute. I don't feel eating meat is wrong as
long as it's clean, natural and cruelity free.

Anyway, I went totally vegan for several years. However, after moving to
California I discovered the availability of harm free, hormone/pesticide
free dairy products and eggs so I now I buy cage free eggs and hormone free
milk for my wife and me. We go through a dozen eggs (usually whites only)
every 3 weeks and a gallon of skim milk in 1 week or so.

One of my outspoken vegan friends aquired a farm that came with
chickens.  He now eats eggs from them because they are there. I like to
tease him a lot.

In addition to that, I will eat meat on rare occassions (like maybe once or
twice a year) ONLY if it is Halal meat from an Islamic store or restaurant.
Halal meat comes from naturally raised animals slaughtered mercifully. So, I
would put myself in the part-time vegetarian category, though I'm more of an
ovalacto vegetarian.

Nothing wrong with that.

-chris