 Off-Topic / Debate / 10688
Re: Virtues of Veganism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 14:22:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:

It has been demonstrated
(I'll try and find the cite, but it was on paper and I've never sought it on
the web) that modern societies that suddenly become more economically secure
invariably add more meat to their diets when possible.

Precisely, like in Japan and look at their alarming rise in heart disease.

  I'd be a fool to deny that there's a connection, but I wonder if other
newly-acquired habits have likewise contributed to this rise.  For instance
(and I ask both rhetorically and because I don't know), how has the
incidence of cigarette smoking changed during this time, or how has the
level of daily stress changed?  I'd be further interested to see a
time:heart-disease graph to see how long it took to rise after the war.

But you know there are many cultures that ARE fundementally
vegetarian -- Hindus, Buddhists, various African tribes, even some Native
American tribes.

  Undeniably--I was just voicing a caution that some might summarily equate
vegetarianism with morality, when it's not automatically the case.

     Dave!