 Off-Topic / Debate / 10756
Re: Virtues of Veganism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:10:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher Tracey writes:

I believe there's been a lot of coverup regarding the health effects of
aspartame that Monsanto isn't releasing.

I don't know the conspiracy side of it at all, but it make head head feel
like an over ripe walnut waiting to explode.  I just can't drink diet bevs,
etc.  Mostly I drink water and whole juices, so it's not really problem, but
I do occasionally enjoy the rush of a bottle of coke.  I've mentioned it to
doctors who seem to hem and haw about whether or not what I'm describing is
clearly possible.  I don't know what they think I'm describing, but it
simply happens.

What's even scarier is that
there is a natural sweetener that looks to safer and would be able to
replace aspartame in 'diet' products.  But the fda won't give approval
for use as a sweetener because of what can be percieved as corporate
interests.  See www.stevia.net for details.

My wife discovered stevia a few months ago and we've been playing with it.
We have some powder and some liquid and it's pretty amazing stuff.  It has a
bit of a different flavor that bears getting used to, but so far, I'm
thinking that it's worth doing.  (I'm still working on soy milk...hopefully
stevia will be easier.)

Chris (the other one)