 Off-Topic / Debate / 10692
Re: Virtues of Veganism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:14:30 GMT

Many vegetarians end up falling into other good habits
such as recycling, conserving energy, and healthy living (exercise and
activity).

How?  I don't see the connection.  I'm actually pretty cynical about
recycling when I see the stuff we put out at the curb just piling up like a
landfill.

  But you must admit that you're reasoning from anecdotal evidence.  Is
recycling bad just because some communities (like mine, until recently) drop
the ball?
  From previous exchanges I gather that you have no objection to recycling,
in itself; you just revile the hypocrasy of those who fail to practice what
they preach.  In that regard I agree completely.

(I do think certain animals shouldn't be eaten simply because
their meat isn't healthy).

Or, presumably, endangered, etc?  Panda steaks would be right out!

  And no more Bald Eagle omelettes, either.

That whaling story is pretty sick stuff.

  Agreed.  Even though I have find nothing immoral about eating meat,
arbitrary slaughter for leisure is pretty hard to defend.  Is there any
online documentation of this practice?  I'm surprised I've never heard
anything about it, though I don't refute it out of turn, either.  It's just
that, when we hear so much about beached whales and the outrage caused by
even a single Inuit whale hunt, it's odd that such a brutal practice goes
relatively unreported.

     Dave!