 Off-Topic / Debate / 10691
Re: Virtues of Veganism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:50:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:

Precisely, like in Japan and look at their alarming rise in heart disease.

I'd be a fool to deny that there's a connection, but I wonder if other

Japanese lifestyle, particularly Tokyo businessmen. Yeah, I do believe they
mentioned more cigarette smoking, LONG ass-kicking hours at stressful jobs
(away from family), more alcohol consumption (usually getting hammered after
work), less exercise and generally cramped living. But the big thing they
pointed out is their post WWII acquired taste for red meat and incidental
rise in arteriosclerosis and colon cancer, namely with the businessmen I
mentioned. I think the red meat is the main culprit because of all it's
saturated fats and cholesterol but absolutely cigarettes, drinking, stress
and lack of exercise hasten the effects.

I think this is a pretty one-sided analysis.  All of those are cofactors and
I think it would be pretty much an exercise in futility to try to say that
one is the main culprit and the others are merely exacerbations.  Something
that an analysis of their health statistics could do is find which of those
factors contribute to what degree, and what I would really like to see, is
to what extent there is a synergy in their deleterious effects when combined
as described.

Undeniably--I was just voicing a caution that some might summarily equate
vegetarianism with morality, when it's not automatically the case.

Well...I guess someone who doesn't eat meat _only_ for health reasons, and
has no attraction to being nice to the creatures, is vegetarian without
added morality.  But even then, their works are doing good, they just aren't
being done for that reason.

That's right, being a vegetarian doesn't suddenly increase a person's
morality.

I think that if someone is vegetarian for moral reasons, then it _does_
"increase" their morality.

Did you know Adolph Hitler was a vegetarian?

Sure.  And he was more moral than he might have otherwise been because of it.

The thing is, though,
I do think that vegetarianism naturally lends itself to a more earth
conscious attitude. Many vegetarians end up falling into other good habits
such as recycling, conserving energy, and healthy living (exercise and
activity).

How?  I don't see the connection.  I'm actually pretty cynical about
recycling when I see the stuff we put out at the curb just piling up like a
landfill.

But I am aware of those "vegetarians" out there with the big SUVs
sucking up gas, using foam cups for their coffee, and so on. California has
a lot of that kind of double standard, where it's "hip" and "trendy" to do
something healthy or environmental, but other related stuff doesn't get
done. It makes vegetarians in general look pretty flaky and stupid.

I don't think anyone has to justify their stance to you by becoming a more
well-rounded radical greeny.  People have lots of reasons for doing their
thing, and while we can wish that someone would do more, I'm not sure I care
for your expressed attitude.  I've heard people mock fat people because they
got a _diet_ coke with their ice cream or whatever.  Well, I happen to think
that it's better for them to lose _some_ calories than to have the full
blown thing.  But some think they should go without everything so that they
conform to some expected norm.  To them I can only say "bite me!"

(I do think certain animals shouldn't be eaten simply because
their meat isn't healthy).

Or, presumably, endangered, etc?  Panda steaks would be right out!

That whaling story is pretty sick stuff.

Chris