 Off-Topic / Debate / 10687
Re: Virtues of Veganism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:02:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:

It is more interesting to me that this [vegetarianism in the third world] >is often a result of economic conditions rather than some prevailing >morality.

Hmmm, yeah I see what you mean but I sense the people of these countries
share a deeper connection with the land (they do tend to be farmers) so
they're is that respect for nature.

It has been demonstrated
(I'll try and find the cite, but it was on paper and I've never sought it on
the web) that modern societies that suddenly become more economically secure
invariably add more meat to their diets when possible.

Precisely, like in Japan and look at their alarming rise in heart disease.

Various religions
may have their own prohibitions, but I don't accept that there's something
more fundamentally vegan about non-Western countries.

I see what you're saying but I'm just pointing out that those countries are
closely vegetarian, for many reasons and no doubt the expense of meat is a
big factor as you mentioned. However, I do recognize their kinship with the
land, something we had more of in America but lost most of it to
industrialism. But you know there are many cultures that ARE fundementally
vegetarian -- Hindus, Buddhists, various African tribes, even some Native
American tribes.

Dan