 Off-Topic / Debate / 10686
Re: Question about English: use of non and not.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:39:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Bennett writes:

We have made some data base tables and when we created one about the
products not scheduled we called it NOT_SCHEDULED_PRODUCT. After we realize
that NON_SCHEDULED_PRODUCT sounds better, but we don't know why.
Is there any rule that defines when I use NOT and when I use NON?

In all cases like this I turn to the Oxford Dictionary and Usage Guide to
the English language and it says:

I good course of action.  If I were at home, I would check to see if Fowlers
has any comments too.

Therefore 'Non' is not a word in itself and must be prefixed with a hyphen
so if you prefer 'non' you should name the table NON-SCHEDULED_PRODUCT.

They both mean the same thing which is that the product has been considered
and it has been decided not to schedule it.  If you mean that the decision
whether to schedule it or not is yet to be taken you should use
UNSCHEDULED_PRODUCT.

I agree with this analysis, but even if you didn't want to use the hyphen, I
would suggest NON_SCHEDULED_PRODUCT if there is any chance that someone
might confuse the NOT_ with the logical operator.  OTOH, if you exactly mean
what the logical operator means, I'd probably stick with NOT_ to avoid the
potential confusion of including the extra term NON_ in your company's
vernacular.

Chris