 Off-Topic / Debate / 10757
Re: Virtues of Veganism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:21:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher Tracey writes:

I'm not equating vegetarianism with morality here, but I frequently have
had the experiance of someone finding out my dietary habits and then
getting at what I perceive to be defensive about their own (typically
meateating).  I'm curious if they think that their diet is less moral?

I have had that response on a number of occasions too.  I doubt that they
think their diet is less moral (though I have had someone sort-of admit that
(here!)).  I think that they are concerned that you're going to get all
self-righteous on them about it.  Even I have encountered obnoxious
vegetarians who really put me off in their rude zealousy.  If people expect
us to act like that too, then it's no wonder they seem to have a chip on
their shoulder.  I think I do a good job of defusing that kind of reaction.

was developing an organic food standard (2-3 years ago).  Articles about
organic food were present in every issue of the magazine for a while.
I've seen many letters to the editor in the magazine from readers who
are dismayed about the trend and just want articles about food.

I don't get VT anymore, but it seems to me like the organic foods movement
and vegetarianism are quite related.  They seem linked by both health and
morality concerns.

What I dislike are the "I'm a vegetarian, but I eat chicken(or other
non-veg product)" people.

I was at a pary once when dietary restrictions came up in conversation
around the grill (where I had brown-sugared vidalia onions...yum!) and a
young woman who was about to graduate with her degree in biochemistry and
enter grad school, while eating a loaded hot dog (all-beef frank, to be
specific), told me that she was a vegetarian too.  The conversation stopped
for a minute, people looked around at one another, and then another topic
resumed.  It was pretty funny.  But I've had a number of people tell me they
were vegetarians too but meant that they eat only fish and plants.  Weird!

The word 'vegetarian' used to mean what
'vegan' means today, yet it was quickly diluted by vegetarians eating
cheese and milk.

Yeah...how did that happen?  When it matters, I state clearly that I'm an
ovo-lacto vegetarian.

Some time ago it got the new defination (at least by
the general public) as eating vegetables and the occasional bit of
chicken or fish.  Last year, someone I knew refered to her friends as
'vegan's but they eat cheese.'  The cycle starts again.  :/

Ack!

I ate at a vegan restaurant last week and they had two opportunities on the
menu for you to specially request a cheese on a dish.  My co-diner was a bit
freaked out, but I guess it didn't bother me.  Nothing on the menu was
prepared non-vegan by default.

Chris