 Off-Topic / Fun / 10098
Re: The good, the bad and the ring (WAS: LoTR: The Two "Towers")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 06:16:31 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:

To see the movie, you'd think the party could just fend off the riders
pretty darn easily if they showed up again. To read the book, I get a much
more foreboding impression-- that they could've killed them all if they
wanted to, but erred on the side of caution; probably wondering if they
could overcome Aragorn if he decided for some reason to suddenly wield the
Ring himself. The movie makes me think they were *desperately* trying to get
the Ring, but just couldn't do it because Strider fought viciously. Not that
they more consciously decided to leave and wait.

Yeah, Jackson went for cheap visuals and bad continuity

Just curious.  Was this a throw-away comment, or did you really find the
visuals to be that bad?  And were there particular continuity errors you
noticed?

As in he took the cheap route by going for a splashy combat sequence.  The
continuity problem is that several wraiths were torched but there they were
in the next sequence riding hell-for-leather for the ford none the worse for
their experience, including their natty Mordor-Threads.

After watching hours of the behind-the-scenes stuff, and knowing how they
did it (especially dealing with issues of scale) I'm still amazed at how
good it looks.

- I mean, where do
you rent a replacement wraith costume in The Wild after your previous one
got burnt to a crisp?

Actually, that scene was shot very early on in the schedule.  In fact, it
was Viggo's first day on the set.  So it's quite likely that if a costume
was destroyed, it was planned and accounted for.

No, no, I mean within the actual story.  Torching the wraiths would most
likely have the same effect that inundating them had: they would have to
flee back to Mordor shapeless and enfeebled.  Even if not, there are no
tailors hanging out in the middle of nowhere (Weathertop virtually marks the
Middle of Nowhere) for the wraiths to get replacement black duds.

(the
movie was an incredible finicial gamble, so I try not to scream too much
since they were brave enough to do it as a trilogy).

I find little to complain about when it comes to differences between the
book and movie(s).  To film the book literally and in the original sequence
would have been painful to watch.  The trip through the woods and meeting
Tom Bombadil could have easily consumed 30 minutes on its own.

5 minutes of Tom Bombadil would have been overkill, much less 30.  Good
riddance (though I am a Tim Benzedrine fan, "Oh man, here comes the rush!").
Anyway, I'm not the one screaming about the (first) movie.

-->Bruce<--