 Off-Topic / Geek / 4134
Re: LoTR: The Two "Towels"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 00:49:05 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Dave Schuler writes:

Well, that's one negative vote against millions of positive.  Not to say
that you're wrong, but let's remember that the film is an adaptation, and
Almighty Tolkien penned more than his fair share of terrible dialogue, and
he was frankly far to verbose in his handling of character development, and
he suffers from the same penchant for goofy names that seems to afflict
George Lucas.

Too bad some people just can't help but exalt
and rave over the trilogy. Sheesh, can people
ever stop complaining about the 'dialogue
problems' or 'improper adaption' and 'lack
of adherence to the original storyline'?!!!

Let me sum this into one small sentence...

It's a *Movie*! (yes, a movie. No, it's not
the bible, and not a cult following.)

It was meant to be a nice piece of cinema to
stop by, watch and say 'Wow, what a nice
movie. Hmm, maybe I should start reading
into this. How intriguing!' Instead, I
see a lot of afficionados step in and
dissect the whole film apart until it's a
bleeding mess, pointing out minor problems
that really shouldn't matter! *So what*
if there were 'juviline exchanges' between
several key characters. *Do normal people
care?* I think not! Is it really all that
important to lionize such a story to the
extent that they claim the director is
'violating its sanctity' and by making an
adaption constitutes 'blasphemy'?! Such
pointless drivel...god.

*end rant*

(sorry, y'all, but my week sucked, as
you can all probably tell :)

Yes, I love Tolkien's writing, but I don't revere his vision as paramount.
For instance, Jackson's simultaneous portrayal of the three plotlines plays
much more effectively than Tolkien's sequential telling.

Read the original work 'the hobbit', and I can't say
its all that paramount. It was a nice read, I must
admit, but I won't say I was inspired to the point
to rip any of the ideas off. (and I won't for that
matter.) The films was nice as well, and I appreciate
the director's intuition to present it cleanly and
close to accurately. (and don't get me started
on 'strict adherence' to plotlines, etc, because
I don't want to hear it.)

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast
O s p r e y