 Castle / 15545
Re: LoTR: The Two "Towels"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 03:59:39 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Matt Hein writes:

*if implied that the protagonist fights
nine enemies at once*

Did you mean "it", not "if"?  And which, the book or the movie?  The answer
would be no and neither, since both clearly indicate five.

Sorry to say, but how fictitious can it get? One
person to fend off against nine opponents single
handedly, and still miraculously emerge
prevalent? Sounds deftly similar to the thug
culture evalgelized in today's underground,
in which some are convinced of invincibility.

He gets the drop on them while their attention is focused on Frodo.  And as
explained, they were simply being cautious when they thought the wound would
be sufficient (and Aragorn is hardly a normal human being anyway, even by
Middle-earth standards).

Perhaps I took that context at an angle in which
the author did not imply? My apologies to the
converted tolkeinists, but I'm just too realistic
to believe something to that extent.

And talking trees is okay?  Ring-wraiths?  Wizards?  Willful mountains?
Elder demons?  Mutation through selective breeding and genetic manipulation?
Well, okay, maybe the wizards...
;-)

-->Bruce<--