 Castle / 15530
Re: LoTR: The Two "Towels"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 01:03:01 GMT

Somebody had to reply...granted it didn't have to me but...

    I saw LOTR on the 17th of December 11:59pm atlantic time (in return for
a small rural island with one cinema we get the first general showings of a
lot of movies).
In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:

First off, *awesome*! I loved it. I mean, duh, but still - the scenery was
breathtaking, the story was Tolkien so how can you go wrong, and Peter
Jackson is a wonderful director.

     NZ is beautiful. Tolkien's story is great not so sure about the movie's.
And Jackson is a great director... pity he tried his hand at script writing.

SNIP
I liked the first movie a bit better than The Two "Towels" (anyone wanna
hitchhike?). I felt like they changed the plot a bit too much from Tolkien
in #2 - Faramir was my favorite character in the book but they sorta ruined
him in the movie...

  My thoughts exactly. They also ruined Theoden (a bit wimpy and always
retreating...)

But on the other hand, of course, Gollum wasn't in #1
and he was *great*. But then again -- imagining him was part of the fun.
Possibly, the reason is I've seen the first one four times already, and the
more I see it the more I like it - so once I see the second one a couple
more times I might like it better.

    Same again. I think the beauty of not seeing Gollum was how hobbit like
he could appear in descriptions.
    I did enjoy it more the second time! I took a friend who loves the book
so much he disliked the first one, and together we made fun of it.
    I mean the cornyiness and Aragon everywhere. Part of the greatness of
the book is the diversity and scattered nature of the 'good' but the power
contained when they can unite. It isn't a superman setting with one hero who
does everything.. it's a chain of good being done.

    I would like to know who after editing so many parts of the book (I
understand this for time sake) wrote in Aragon falling off the cliff. Can
you not do a movie without someone falling off a cliff? The 2nd time I went
the whole place was in tears as my friend and I 'called' the cliff, the
river, the horse, etc. etc.
    I liked the first one because they stuck to editing. For someone to have
the nerve to write in scenes ruined it for me. When they've been a chair
holding proffessor at Oxford, contributed to the oxford dictionary, sold 150
million copies of one book (or 3) alone, and generally contributed to
liteature as a whole then they could consider a slight write in, untill then..
   If I had seen this first I would have shrugged and said no one can do a
movie of LOTR but with the first one they proved it could be done, it's a
shame they couldn't leave well enough alone.

    Other points.
- There comes a point when pikes get too long to be of use, the orcs could
use a lesson in this.
- The size of Rohan! 100 odd extras doesn't cut it when your adding orcs by
the thousand. The capital they showed would be a tiny village in a country
'able to muster 10000 spears.
- Aragon climbing the wall at helm's deep. What happened to all those orcish
archers? Surely mone of them could have killed him.
-Without the ents and hurons at Helm's Deep how did they get rid of the
orcs? Even with the reinforcements they needed the ents.

Last note:

        Don't mess with a good thing. A classic work such as LOTR does not
need extra confrontation between the characters (Legolas and Aragon),
villians (almost Fairamir), people falling off cliffs ?!?!?!, etc. etc.

         End of rant and God Bless,

                Nathan