 Castle / 15546
Re: LoTR: The Two "Towels"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 05:06:21 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
That was kinda saddening in the 1st movie-- where Aragorn fights off the
Nazgul all by himself. Kinda dimunes the Nazgul. I mean, you can fight 'em
*ALL* off, let alone just one? How pathetic does that make them? IIRC in the
novel, they stab Frodo, and then just go away. They've done their job well
enough-- he'll turn into a shadow-- why bother sticking around? Movie made
them seem like wooses.

Actually, that was exactly from the book: Aragorn fights them off
single-handed (and it was not *all* nine of them in either the book or
movie).  But Tolkien made it clearer that the Nazgul felt their work was
being down by the morgul-blade and that they could afford to be cautious and
retreat until all nine were present.

From the book:
-------------
[Strider speaking:] 'Let us take this wood that is set ready for the fire as
a sign. There is little shelter or defence here, but fire shall serve for
both. Sauron can put fire to his evil uses, as he can all things, but these
Riders do not love it, and fear those who wield it.'

There were five tall figures: two standing on the lip of the dell, three
advancing. ... Their eyes fell on him and pierced him, as they rushed
towards him. Desperate, he drew his own sword, and it seemed to him that it
flickered red, as if it was a firebrand. Two of the figures halted. ... In
one hand he held a long sword, and in the other a knife; both the knife and
the hand that held it glowed with a pale light. He sprang forward and bore
down on Frodo.
  At that moment Frodo threw himself forward on the ground, and he heard
himself crying aloud: O Elbereth! Gilthoniel! At the same time he struck at
the feet of his enemy. A shrill cry rang out in the night; and he felt a
pain like a dart of poisoned ice pierce his left shoulder. Even as he
swooned he caught, as through a swirling mist, a glimpse of Strider leaping
out of the darkness with a flaming brand of wood in either hand. With a last
effort, Frodo dropping his sword, slipped the Ring from his finger and
closed his right hand tight upon it.

[Strider speaking:] 'There seem only to have been five of the enemy. Why
they were not all here, I don't know; but I don't think they expected to be
resisted. They have drawn off for the time being. They will come again
another night, if we cannot escape. They are only waiting, because they
think that their purpose is almost accomplished and that the Ring cannot fly
much further.'
-------------

Now, to me, that says that the Riders kinda showed up, didn't really expect
all of Frodo's companions, stabbed him, and walked off; though granted
that's a somewhat tame description. I don't think I'd say Aragorn fights
them all off.

To see the movie, you'd think the party could just fend off the riders
pretty darn easily if they showed up again. To read the book, I get a much
more foreboding impression-- that they could've killed them all if they
wanted to, but erred on the side of caution; probably wondering if they
could overcome Aragorn if he decided for some reason to suddenly wield the
Ring himself. The movie makes me think they were *desperately* trying to get
the Ring, but just couldn't do it because Strider fought viciously. Not that
they more consciously decided to leave and wait.

DaveE