 Castle / 15550
Re: LoTR: The Two "Towels"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:58:06 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
I think a little more active defense of Frodo is implied,

Yeah, in the book, it's really the only acknowledged 'harm' that comes to
the Nazgul in the scene-- the one swipe that Frodo takes at them. In the
movie, it's all Aragorn...

and Aragorn
already stated that the Nazgul don't like fire, but surely they gave ground
quickly because they felt they could afford to be patient.  At the same
time, I rather imagine Jackson felt he could give the scene more action and
not be completely out of line since it all happens while Frodo is
unconscious and not truly stated in the book.

That's my guess as well. It was a great chance for Jackson to give some
action to the movie, even though from my own perspective it didn't need it.

But granted, since the book doesn't give details, it's entirely possible
that it happens more similarly to the movie. On the other hand, maybe all
the hobbits jump to life, and beat the Nazgul senseless. I spose we'll never
know...

Tolkien likes to leave things unsaid many times.  Or implied.  Or left to
the reader's imagination.  Such as the great Balrog wing debate: I don't
believe for a second that the Balrog has wings, but others choose to
literally believe the "wings of shadows" as meaning it had wings.

Well, there are 2 wing references:

"His enemy halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out
like two vast wings."

"...and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were
spread from wall to wall..."

1st one makes it sound like the 2nd reference could be simply a metaphor,
but still, the 2nd one *does* make it sound like they're real. I suppose the
only thing wrong with it having wings is that it falls into the crevasse,
when one might assume that if it really *had* wings, it'd just fly back
up... Tough call, though.

DaveE