 Castle / 15538
Re: LoTR: The Two "Towels"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:49:44 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Nathan Todd writes:
I liked the first movie a bit better than The Two "Towels" (anyone wanna
hitchhike?). I felt like they changed the plot a bit too much from Tolkien
in #2 - Faramir was my favorite character in the book but they sorta ruined
him in the movie...

My thoughts exactly. They also ruined Theoden (a bit wimpy and always
retreating...)

Yeah, Theoden was a bit different and less likeable in the movie. The one
part I really didn't like concerning Theoden was Gandalf et all's entrance
into the throne room. Zillions of armed guards, but Aragorn, Gimli, and
Legolas can fight 'em off bare-handed? No need, as far as I could see.

But on the other hand, of course, Gollum wasn't in #1
and he was *great*. But then again -- imagining him was part of the fun.
Possibly, the reason is I've seen the first one four times already, and the
more I see it the more I like it - so once I see the second one a couple
more times I might like it better.

   Same again. I think the beauty of not seeing Gollum was how hobbit like
he could appear in descriptions.

Gollum was 10x better than I expected. I didn't really like the 'go away and
never come back' line where he actually 'forces out' his other half, but the
rest of the scene preceeding it was excellently done. Plus, I think he's the
first CGI character I've ever seen who really was pulled off nearly
flawlessly from a visual aspect.

   I mean the cornyiness and Aragon everywhere. Part of the greatness of
the book is the diversity and scattered nature of the 'good' but the power
contained when they can unite. It isn't a superman setting with one hero who
does everything.. it's a chain of good being done.

That was kinda saddening in the 1st movie-- where Aragorn fights off the
Nazgul all by himself. Kinda dimunes the Nazgul. I mean, you can fight 'em
*ALL* off, let alone just one? How pathetic does that make them? IIRC in the
novel, they stab Frodo, and then just go away. They've done their job well
enough-- he'll turn into a shadow-- why bother sticking around? Movie made
them seem like wooses.

   I would like to know who after editing so many parts of the book (I
understand this for time sake) wrote in Aragon falling off the cliff. Can
you not do a movie without someone falling off a cliff? The 2nd time I went
the whole place was in tears as my friend and I 'called' the cliff, the
river, the horse, etc. etc.

I didn't really mind that. Served two purposes. One: shows the HUGE horde of
orcs (which we've kind of seen, but not in such scope), and two: allows us
to see a little further Eowyn's caring for Aragorn when he doesn't return,
and when he comes back. In the book, you can put things in that express her
amoration for Aragorn, but in the movie, you can't just put in narration
that explains it. It's gotta be visual or told through dialogue.

Part of my problem with Tolkien was that he had a great story, a great
world, and great characters, but he just didn't write well. So many things
were unnecessary to the plotline, but he threw them in anyway, because they
were part of his world. Reading it it's almost as though he said "Well,
according to my map, they've got a week before they get where they're going,
so I better make up some stuff to put in the middle, just to make it seem
like 2 weeks".

   I liked the first one because they stuck to editing.

Eh, they did their share of modifying the 1st one. Like the commotion that
erupts at the council of Elrond, Sauruman "teaming up" with Sauron, the
Nazgul fight, Aragorn & Arwen's romance scene, etc.

   Other points.
- There comes a point when pikes get too long to be of use, the orcs could
use a lesson in this.
- The size of Rohan! 100 odd extras doesn't cut it when your adding orcs by
the thousand. The capital they showed would be a tiny village in a country
'able to muster 10000 spears.

That was a little silly. 3,000 or so men went of and were banished with
Eomer, leaving 300 men to defend the country? Granted some fell in the
attack with the wacky beast-things on the way to Helm's Deep, but only 300
left? That was a bit far fetched. At least they corrected that number when
the Elves showed up.

- Aragon climbing the wall at helm's deep. What happened to all those orcish
archers? Surely mone of them could have killed him.
-Without the ents and hurons at Helm's Deep how did they get rid of the
orcs? Even with the reinforcements they needed the ents.

? The ents showed up at Helm's Deep? IIRC a forest just sorta 'popped up'
behind the orcs without really hurting them. It frightened them alright, and
made them not retreat into it since it was clearly magical et all, but I
don't remember it doing them any harm. Well, ok, I vaugely recall that it
disposed of their corpses neatly or some such... But I don't think it played
a part in defeating the orcs...

       Don't mess with a good thing. A classic work such as LOTR does not
need extra confrontation between the characters (Legolas and Aragon),
villians (almost Fairamir), people falling off cliffs ?!?!?!, etc. etc.

I think the screenwriter for The Count of Monte Christo said it best. He
wasn't trying to re-make the book exactly. If you want a perfect rendition,
read the book. That's what it's there for. Though I do think that Jackson is
trying to stick to the story a lot more so, however. All in all, I'm quite
pleased with the way it turned out.

DaveE