 Castle / 15555
Re: LoTR: The Two "Towels"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 07:23:47 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

Yeah, Jackson went for cheap visuals and bad continuity - I mean, where do
you rent a replacement wraith costume in The Wild after your previous one
got burnt to a crisp?  Yet there are all nine in the morning.  Shoulda stuck
to what Tolkien wrote, but clearly he felt he needed more screen splash

If the Nine are as bad as everyone fears, then why would anything short of
Sauron's will stop them from grabbing the Ring while they had the chance?

I generally suspect that Aragorn makes the Wraiths nervous. He's sort of
magical in his own right, and if he wielded the Ring himself, there might be
a chance that he *COULD* defeat the Nazgul. Plus the fire made them nervous.
Plus the fact that they weren't all assembled yet.

One gets the impression from the bookt that they more or less figured that
the party would be incapacitated with Frodo down. And lacking mobility means
they're easy prey. The other thing that keeps getting repeated mention in
the book is that Hobbits are suprisingly resistant to the Ring, and dark
powers in general. I suspect that the Nazgul attacked Frodo assuming that
he'd turn into a wraith within a matter of hours or a couple days. Had they
known he'd resist for a couple *weeks* (or so-- I forget how long) maybe
they would've behaved differently.

At the end of the scene in the book I was left with the sense that they left
solely so that they could be swept away by the river a few scenes later.  My
feeling is that, at least in Jackson's vision, we have a nominal reason why
they departed.

Well, you're right, but then again, I think the point still stands that to
see Jackson's "vision", we're left with the impression that Nazgul really
aren't all that bad. I mean, Aragorn fights off 5 of them single handedly.
If they're as bad as everyone fears, then why were they able to be fought
off so easily?

Anyway, didn't someone in the film say something like "they appear as black
riders"(like the Tom Waits song, one suspects).  If that's the case, then
couldn't they just re-appear as black riders in the morning?  Maybe Sauron
only gives them one cloak per day, and only if they behave themselves.

Here's one thing I'm really puzzled about from the book. There's really not
that much magic involved. Sure, the Ring makes you invisible, but that's not
really the power it wields-- it's something... else.  To that effect, Sauron
doesn't seem to have some long-range magic spell that helps the Nazgul or
anything. IIRC the Nazgul are forced (after being overcome in the river) to
turn back to Mordor before they get new steeds/cloaks/whatever. Which is of
course why we don't hear from them again during the whole voyage south from
Rivendell to Lorien. One is given the impression that Sauron *can't* just
make new equipment/etc appear for the Ringwraiths; not that he wouldn't if
he could.

DaveE