 Castle / 15549
Re: LoTR: The Two "Towels"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:24:10 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

They bravely turned their tails and fled, brave, brave, brave Sir
Ring-wraiths...

I guess the beauty of the book is that it doesn't actually describe the
scene. In my mind, I see Strider leaping out, warding off the lead Nazgul,
who backs off unscathed. Strider *can't* leave Frodo's side to attack the
Nazgul (not that it would make sense to anyway, since all he's got are two
flaming sticks), so he instead stands next to Frodo with his sticks while
the 5 just stand there looking at him from a 'safe' distance, wondering if
they should bother attacking or not. Then they walk away.

I think a little more active defense of Frodo is implied, and Aragorn
already stated that the Nazgul don't like fire, but surely they gave ground
quickly because they felt they could afford to be patient.  At the same
time, I rather imagine Jackson felt he could give the scene more action and
not be completely out of line since it all happens while Frodo is
unconscious and not truly stated in the book.

But granted, since the book doesn't give details, it's entirely possible
that it happens more similarly to the movie. On the other hand, maybe all
the hobbits jump to life, and beat the Nazgul senseless. I spose we'll never
know...

Tolkien likes to leave things unsaid many times.  Or implied.  Or left to
the reader's imagination.  Such as the great Balrog wing debate: I don't
believe for a second that the Balrog has wings, but others choose to
literally believe the "wings of shadows" as meaning it had wings.

Yeah, Jackson went for cheap visuals and bad continuity - I mean, where do
you rent a replacement wraith costume in The Wild after your previous one
got burnt to a crisp?  Yet there are all nine in the morning.  Shoulda stuck
to what Tolkien wrote, but clearly he felt he needed more screen splash (the
movie was an incredible finicial gamble, so I try not to scream too much
since they were brave enough to do it as a trilogy).

Yeah, that was kind of odd-- I didn't really worry about it too much. Maybe
he stopped, dropped, and rolled :)

Duck and cover and duck and cover...

-->Bruce<--

(who as a child was always curious as to what that "bright light" was when
they said you needed to duck and cover - then I found my dad's book "The
Effects of Atomic Warfare.  Sheesh!)