 Castle / 15544
Re: LoTR: The Two "Towels"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 02:58:56 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:

That was kinda saddening in the 1st movie-- where Aragorn fights off the
Nazgul all by himself. Kinda dimunes the Nazgul. I mean, you can fight 'em
*ALL* off, let alone just one? How pathetic does that make them? IIRC in the
novel, they stab Frodo, and then just go away. They've done their job well
enough-- he'll turn into a shadow-- why bother sticking around? Movie made
them seem like wooses.

Actually, that was exactly from the book: Aragorn fights them off
single-handed (and it was not *all* nine of them in either the book or
movie).  But Tolkien made it clearer that the Nazgul felt their work was
being down by the morgul-blade and that they could afford to be cautious and
retreat until all nine were present.

*if implied that the protagonist fights
nine enemies at once*

Sorry to say, but how fictitious can it get?

Quite a bit.

That's why they call it fiction.  ;)

Perhaps I took that context at an angle in which
the author did not imply?

While the Black Riders may appear weak or useless on some levels, don't
forget that they are strong in other areas.  They can almost 'smell' the
ring... and the power that it carries.  Not unlike bats if you think about
it; poor eyesite, but capable of extraordinary aerobatics thanks to built in
radar.

I also believe the riders represent the fall and weakness of the race of
men.  Greed, pride and arrogance also being other symbols represented by the
fallen kings.  Their actions may not always make sense in a literal context,
but likely support the theme they represent.

My apologies to the
converted tolkeinists,

Apology accepted.  I used to tell people that I had no use for Tolkien in
any shape or form.  I often described 'The Hobbit' using the following sentence:

Short guy, goes out for a walk, something about a dragon... blah blah blah,
then the short guy goes home.

But Peter Jackson's wonderful adaptation (keyword in all this... adaptation.
It is not literal retelling) of the story of 'The Lord of The Rings' has
certainly made me a convert.  I'm now reading the book.

but I'm just too realistic
to believe something to that extent.

There's just so fine a line between reality
and fiction...

There's a wonderful thing called the "willing suspension of disbelief".
It's what makes sci-fi, fantasy and even some mainstream fiction readable at
all.  Imagine having to rationalize every detail of Star Wars, Blade Runner
or 2001, in order to make them enjoyable.  Imagine even trying.  By
suspending your disbelief and closing your critical eye you are rewarded
with a story that couldn't exist otherwise.  A pretty good trade-off if you
ask me.  :)

All the best,
Allan B.