 Castle / 15552
Re: LoTR: The Two "Towels"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 00:42:24 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

Yeah, Jackson went for cheap visuals and bad continuity - I mean, where do
you rent a replacement wraith costume in The Wild after your previous one
got burnt to a crisp?  Yet there are all nine in the morning.  Shoulda stuck
to what Tolkien wrote, but clearly he felt he needed more screen splash

  If the Nine are as bad as everyone fears, then why would anything short of
Sauron's will stop them from grabbing the Ring while they had the chance?  At
the end of the scene in the book I was left with the sense that they left
solely so that they could be swept away by the river a few scenes later.  My
feeling is that, at least in Jackson's vision, we have a nominal reason why
they departed.
  Anyway, didn't someone in the film say something like "they appear as black
riders"(like the Tom Waits song, one suspects).  If that's the case, then
couldn't they just re-appear as black riders in the morning?  Maybe Sauron only
gives them one cloak per day, and only if they behave themselves.

     Dave!