 Off-Topic / Fun / 10018
Re: Lego RPG DraK'en.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:59:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, John P. Henderson writes:

Sorry Matt, I for one have been enjoying the discussion on classification
and haven't thought of it as a debate so much as an intellectual digression.

Well, not techincally debate. (although this discussion has
given me some interesting ideas already, so I guess that
counts as viable imput.)

Like Frank, I've gotten a bit distracted with the side conversation, and
also have honestly not looked at all the details of your game.  I do
appreciate your work.  It just takes time to really sit down and look
through a set or rules for problems, balance, and playability.  With the
holiday this week, I cannot promise to look at it right away, but I'd be
happy to look through it more closely at some point.

Well, as long as someone appreciates it. If you do get a chance
to review the rules (or anyone else interested in test
playing for that matter), by all means, go right ahead.

I also agree with Frank that getting together with other friends to playtest
the rules is a must.  This is what happened with my BrickSiege game:  I
invited some non-AFOL-serious-gamer friends over to play test.  They enjoyed
the layout I have built, but then we started to read through the rules.
They helped me analyze the rulebook page-by-page, and did identify a few
problems.  We actually spent an entire evening (until 1:am) just discussing
the rules, and we never actually played!  We do hope to actually playtest
the game at some point.  But nothing was more valuable then just hearing
these two gamers debating the rules of the game right in front of me.

Not entirely surprising...(although discussion is quite
important, just this discussion alone gave me a really
good idea earlier.)

I'm considering having an arbitrary entity or third party
player, who can make a ruling if there are game
discrepencies, propose scenerios and deal additional
units (like siege vehicles and horses), when a
character captures funds.

As for Frank's questioning why do we need yet another game system, I agree
there can be too many, and that makes it hard for any one to attract a
following.  I designed BrickSiege (and a few other games) because I needed a
creative outlet, and also because I saw something lacking in the other games
offered.  Technically, BrikWars is a very in-depth and well accepted PBB
that could be used to play the kind of scenario I wanted for BrickSiege.
However, BrikWars also has a *ton* of rules and far too much math for my
brain to handle in a single game session.  So, in short, I develop new games
for myself.  If other people like the results and start playing on their
own, that is great.  But if they don't, if they think BrikWars or some other
game is better or more familiar, then I won't be offended at all.  The
important thing is that we all Play Well.   :)

Yeah, one feature of my game, was the exemption of all of
those imposing formulae. (it gets overwhelmingly tedious
over time.)

Gotta run for a holiday!
-Hendo

Peace out,