 Gaming / 1279
Re: Lego RPG DraK'en.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:11:43 GMT

Sorry, not to veer off-off-topic, but I had to de-lurk to say that I
absolutely *loved* Amoeba Wars. I played a bunch of Avalon Hill games and
that one was the best (although I think was one called "War in the Pacific"
or something that I also dug).I thought the back story was particularly
groovy with fallen empires and stray doomsday machines (hey, I was 12). We
used to try to come up with new rules for the game. The only one I can
remember was creating a tanker ship. We gave ships fuel points and you could
only go so far without having a tanker to resupply your ships. Mmm... wonder
if my brother's still got it kicking around.

Also, I've been playing NWN on-and-off and it does a good job of simulating
an rpg game, especially with a good DM. But I haven't really had the time...

-Evil Wayne
"There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
http://www.geocities.com/legomaniac70

-----Original Message-----
From: Hendo (John P. Henderson) [mailto:hendo@valyance.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 2:01 PM
To: lugnet.off-topic.fun@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Lego RPG DraK'en.

<snip>

The tough part is that, depending on how the players act, any of these games
can overlap considerably between catagories.  A friend and I love to play
the Strategy Board Game 'Amoeba Wars' (Avalon Hill), but he and I are goofy
enough to actually use character voices and simulate spaceship sound effects
when it is our turn to command our fleets to attack a new solar system.  He
might pretend he is the leader of an alien race and speak in a deep dramatic
voice declaring, "My fleet will destroy you puny Earthlings!"  So.  Is
Amoeba Wars a Strategy game?  Or an RPG?

<snip>

That's my rambling for the day,
-Hendo