 Gaming / 1278
Re: Lego RPG DraK'en.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:06:19 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" wrote:
Put all this together, and we will have a game that is PBB and has all five
elements of an RPG that you mention.

You're certainly right there. The question I still have is how will the
brick play actually interact with the game.

Hmm.  Currently, based on what we've developed so far for Starship, I would
say the only real use of the brick is how the game encourages (pretty much
demands) that everyone build spaceships and other space related MOCs and
share images of them throughout the game.  Some players will also post pics
of their characters (mini-figs).  Most of this is of course done before a
player actually joins the play, however, so one could say that once a ship
and crew are built, there is not much further need for the brick.

Currently about six different people are planning on running a Sector (i.e.
hosting an adventure), and most of those people are also planning to offer
one or more ships as a player in other people's Sectors.  I for one want to
experience all the adventures (which are simultaneous in the galaxy), so I
am encouraged to build not one ship, but several.  And the rules limit how
many of my ships can have certain characteristics, but I can pull a ship out
of play to introduce a new one if I find one is not working for me, given
the rules.

However, I will share a little secret, just between you and me Frank.  (The
rest of you squint your eyes and pretend I am whispering.)  For the
adventures that I will be hosting in my Sector(s), I have been developing
some MOCs exclusively for the game.  My intention is that when a player ship
adventures in my Sector, they will have a chance to encounter different
things in my adventure.  When they do, I will sometimes be able to share a
secret link with them that has an image of one of my MOCs that no one will
see if they don't play the game and have that encounter.  Although most of
the game is e-mail driven with mediators sending a message saying, "You see
this," with a few extra MOCs and hidden links, a mediator can also send an
occasional message that reads, "You see this -insert link here-."  ...So, as
a result, I am busy building five or more ships as a player, but also
various other models, ships, bases, colonies, terrain, etc. as a mediator.
When the game begins, I will only have a fraction of all this done, so the
point is, I won't stop using the brick just because I have a ship already.
The rules don't force me to keep building, but I will, hoping to bring the
game to a new level.  (I'll stop whispering now.)    :-)

-H.

PS  I'm not ignoring the rest of your comments, just pressed for time with
the holiday right now...