 Off-Topic / Fun / 10001
Re: Lego RPG DraK'en.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:56:51 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
I'm sorry for this digression but as a compartmentalized dork, I take my
categorization somewhat seriously. I really resent that the computer
gaming industry has diluted the meaning of RPG (I have yet to see any
computer game which I would put in the same category of game as Dungeons
and Dragons, or Vampire, or any of the other traditional RPGs). That is
not to say that these computer games are bad (many of them are darned
good games in their own right, but they are their own category [I can
somewhat accept the term "computer role playing game", I really like the
term, interractive fiction, many people have adopted for games which
trace their roots to Adventure (aka Colossal Cave) and Zork]).

I think you have gone on to do precisely what you decry: blurring
definitions.  RPG is not really diluted by computer versions inasmuch as
they are usually referred to as CRPG (Computer RPG).  CRPG carries a host of
implied differences from traditional live RPGs.  But CRPGs are *not* the
same as "Adventure" games.  Adventure games derive from the sources you note
above, but they are not CRPGs, which derive originally from D&D.  Adventure
games have transformed from simple text games, to illustrated games, to
animated games, but the essential interaction is the same: it's about
puzzle-solving with little or no combat.  A CRPG will feature chance-based
conflict, character stats, and character progression.

The line is blurred from game to game, but usually it is fairly clear that a
game is an "Adventure" game with some combat tacked on, or a CRPG with a lot
of adventure elements.  Diablo takes CRPG more to the action side and away
from the adventure side.  Interractive Fiction is more an alternative term
to "Adventure", and indeed, a better it is a better term.

Bruce