 Off-Topic / Fun / 10015
Re: Lego RPG DraK'en.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:38:14 GMT

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" wrote:
I also agree with Frank that getting together with other friends to playtest
the rules is a must.  This is what happened with my BrickSiege game:  I
invited some non-AFOL-serious-gamer friends over to play test.  They enjoyed
the layout I have built, but then we started to read through the rules.
They helped me analyze the rulebook page-by-page, and did identify a few
problems.  We actually spent an entire evening (until 1:am) just discussing
the rules, and we never actually played!  We do hope to actually playtest
the game at some point.  But nothing was more valuable then just hearing
these two gamers debating the rules of the game right in front of me.

One thing I've really missed from my college days is the time spent
discussing rules and such. I think it really does help the game play to
have such discussions, though not at the same time you're trying to
actually play the game, and not with people who aren't interested in
such discussions.

As for Frank's questioning why do we need yet another game system, I agree
there can be too many, and that makes it hard for any one to attract a
following.  I designed BrickSiege (and a few other games) because I needed a
creative outlet, and also because I saw something lacking in the other games
offered.  Technically, BrikWars is a very in-depth and well accepted PBB
that could be used to play the kind of scenario I wanted for BrickSiege.
However, BrikWars also has a *ton* of rules and far too much math for my
brain to handle in a single game session.  So, in short, I develop new games
for myself.  If other people like the results and start playing on their
own, that is great.  But if they don't, if they think BrikWars or some other
game is better or more familiar, then I won't be offended at all.  The
important thing is that we all Play Well.   :)

Actually, I think I agree with you that BrickWars may be too complex.
I'd like to see a good medium complexity PBB miniatures game, which also
tries to present at least some brickness (otherwise, I can think of
several good choices of existing miniatures games with good followings,
for example, The Sword and the Flame as used by Maj. Gen. Tremorden
Rederring's Colonial-era and the Ouargistan group -
http://www.zeitcom.com/majgen/index.html or The Rules With No Name -
http://www.icenter.net/~gisby/RWNN.htm - both of these sites show the
type of slightly zanny gaming which I think would go well with a PBB
game, and both those rules systems are much simpler than BrickWars I
think). I also think some very simple games with a high degree of
brickness would be good. What doesn't interest me is an oversimplified
game with no degree of brickness.

Frank