 Off-Topic / Fun / 10004
Re: Lego RPG DraK'en.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:34:37 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
Matt Hein wrote:

Hello, I've recently completed one of my comprehensive
lego rpgs for your enjoyment, so here goes.

http://www.lugnet.com/~1112/DraKen

One thing I'd like to point out is that at least from a quick glance at
the rules, I would not really call this an RPG. While any game
(including Monopoly) could be considered a "role playing game", in the
(non-computer) gaming industry, the term RPG has traditionally reffered
to a game style where players typically play a single character, and
typically there is a game master (referee) who creates a world for the
characters to interract with.

And why not a party of characters? IIRC, one of the rules in the game
states that you must control or deploy a "leader" character, in
which this game revolves, although you can control party proponents
as well, there are several rule variations, in which you could
only control one character, including such quests as expionage.

I believe the employment of a game master only conplicates
the process, and might drive several potential players away
from the entire concept.

What your game appears to be is a miniatures wargame, and if finer
detail of classification is desired, it might be considered a "skirmish"
game (skirmish is a term typically used to refer to games where each
player controls a small number of units which represent individual men).

True, call it what ever you want. It is purely the discretion of
the player on which to define a genre (as the term RPG has became
so conflicting nowadays, it is the base of senseless arguments and
conjectures.)

You're suggesting I append the category, then?

Like any area of interest in the world, it is hard to pin things down
exactly, but I hope most people understand that classification systems
which at least attempt to create categories which allow differentiation
of the different types of things. How useful would it be if the only
thing which had any common understanding of meaning was that most of the
things you get at Barnes and Noble are "books" but they don't even
bother to divide them among "non-fiction", "history", "crafts", "science
fiction", "horror", "romance" etc. What if the only category of things
purchased at Tower Records was "music", no "rock", "pop", "classical",
"heavy metal", "christian rock", "celtic", "jazz", etc.?

Well,that's not the case...If you want, label my game "ambiguous".
(If it applies to several genres, good then...everyone has a
different definition for RPG...)

When we go looking for new things to try, we usually either want to find
something similar to what we have already experienced, or something
completely different, or maybe something which is similar, yet
completely different. By creating commonly understood categories, we
enable such searches.

I'm sorry for this digression but as a compartmentalized dork, I take my
categorization somewhat seriously.

Well, that explains everything now, doesn't it?

I really resent that the computer
gaming industry has diluted the meaning of RPG (I have yet to see any
computer game which I would put in the same category of game as Dungeons
and Dragons, or Vampire, or any of the other traditional RPGs).
That is not to say that these computer games are bad (many of them are darned
good games in their own right, but they are their own category [I can
somewhat accept the term "computer role playing game", I really like the
term, interractive fiction, many people have adopted for games which
trace their roots to Adventure (aka Colossal Cave) and Zork]).

Interactive Fiction...sounds snazzy...

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast