 Off-Topic / Fun / 10002
Re: Lego RPG DraK'en.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:59:58 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
I'm sorry for this digression but as a compartmentalized dork, I take my
categorization somewhat seriously. I really resent that the computer
gaming industry has diluted the meaning of RPG (I have yet to see any
computer game which I would put in the same category of game as Dungeons
and Dragons, or Vampire, or any of the other traditional RPGs). That is
not to say that these computer games are bad (many of them are darned
good games in their own right, but they are their own category [I can
somewhat accept the term "computer role playing game", I really like the
term, interractive fiction, many people have adopted for games which
trace their roots to Adventure (aka Colossal Cave) and Zork]).

I think you have gone on to do precisely what you decry: blurring
definitions.  RPG is not really diluted by computer versions inasmuch as
they are usually referred to as CRPG (Computer RPG).  CRPG carries a host of
implied differences from traditional live RPGs.  But CRPGs are *not* the
same as "Adventure" games.  Adventure games derive from the sources you note
above, but they are not CRPGs, which derive originally from D&D.  Adventure
games have transformed from simple text games, to illustrated games, to
animated games, but the essential interaction is the same: it's about
puzzle-solving with little or no combat.  A CRPG will feature chance-based
conflict, character stats, and character progression.

The line is blurred from game to game, but usually it is fairly clear that a
game is an "Adventure" game with some combat tacked on, or a CRPG with a lot
of adventure elements.  Diablo takes CRPG more to the action side and away
from the adventure side.  Interractive Fiction is more an alternative term
to "Adventure", and indeed, a better it is a better term.

Yea, I guess I was being somewhat careless. I agree, there is a
difference between IF and CRPG (though in my opinion, less than the
difference between CRPG and traditional RPG). One problem I have though
is that while people in the know refer to CRPGs, many people just lump
everything together as RPG, and then you get people seeking other Quake
players on RPG forums which are about traditional RPGs. Of course the
multi-player CRPGs start heading close to traditional RPGs, and then
MUDs/MUSHes are another category.

Of course some IF does include chance based conflict, so like anything
else in the world, the minute you draw a set of boxes, something comes
along which doesn't fit cleanly.

Of course what's also interesting is that this whole gaming universe has
created entirely new types of "fiction" which just don't map to
traditional literature. They generate stories which are very interesting
to participate in, but rarely interesting to read after the fact. I have
been struggling with some of these issues as I prepare to get active in
RPGs again. One thing I have realized is that the style of play created
by D&D is something I like very much, even if I don't like some of the
specifics. That of course seems to fly against the "role playing not
roll playing" direction "mature" gamers supposedly want. I think the key
is a balance between "role playing" and "roll playing", and with a good
balance, people who are more into one of those than the other can still
enjoy the game. Ultimately, I think what I desire is the social aspect,
and the group problem solving. This second is key. I get a lot of social
interraction from other things I do, and I get plenty of individual
problem solving at work, but gaming is one of the few things which gives
me the group problem solving fix.

Frank