 Off-Topic / Fun / 10016
Re: Lego RPG DraK'en.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:47:11 GMT

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:

What I was most taken with about NWN is how rich the adventure building
(Aurora) toolset is and how many high quality adventures have been built
with it already.

What parts do you see it lacking (making it a simulation of an RPG?)

In general though I agree with you, games are what you make of them...

Actually, I love NWN, and I agree that the character development is very
exciting to play.  I go the extra step and actually develop a character
history and try to role-play it (e.g. my Half-Orc Monk grew up being
discriminated against, so now he fights to stop discrimination everywhere,
even if that means I don't complete certain side-quests and miss out on XP
that my friends get).  Because it is based on D&D 3ed, it is arguably one of
the best attempts to bring role-playing to a PC game.  ...However, it falls
short of allowing the true social interaction that I think of for an RPG.
It is *very* close though, and perhaps close enough that distintion is not
important.

That shows an area where a computer based game can get almost as good as
a traditional RPG. This actually points out the existence of two forms
of computer game, well three actually. One if the traditional single
player game. Another is a multi-player networked game, and a third adds
a referee to the mix.

However, for some time, a computer RPG will still have two significant
limitations in my view:

- people in the same room together totally beats online socializing
- a computer moderated game still constrains the game more than a
  traditional RPG
  - it may not allow quick rules changes
  - it may not allow overriding die rolls
  - I think it will be a long while before the computer is as
    fast to put together a battle map and place miniatures
    and move them

These limitations may not be seen as such by all, and certainly there is
an advantage of online socialization that it's a lot easier to get a
group together.

By the way, the first time I encountered an online computer moderated
RPG was about 15 years ago. A small start up in Troy NY had bought a
Stratus computer (which was quickly noted by one of my fellow gamers who
went over to look at what they were up to - he worked for Stratus during
the summers, and his dad was a manager [or higher] at Stratus), and a
bunch of phone lines. The client software ran on Comodore 64s. The
software provided a mapping module, and a die rolling module if I recall
(I'm pretty sure it was rules independant, or at least it was flexible).

Frank