 Off-Topic / Debate / 6336
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:33:30 GMT

"Damien Nesbit" <johnnobody@msn.com> wrote in message
   Comments like Tim Courtney's ("Damien has provided suggestions, but • they
have been motivated by an agenda and are not constructive in the least. • [...]
I don't see a way to dismiss the rather offensive babbling that Damien has • put
forth recently.  It was way out of line.  So, I'm here to listen, but • serioulsy
[sic], his comments really cheapen this debate, and add to my negative • opinion
of it.  Its not something that I can really help - it just happens.") • attempt
to devalue my opinions and my expressive writing style.  Don't expect many
others to break from the lugnet norm if this is indicative of the • treatment
that they can expect to recieve.

As you have stated, I understand that you have experience in a culture and
ethnicity which are not native to you.  BUT - the fact that you did lace
messages with racial slurs towards a race which is not yours really was very
inappropraite for the group.  The expressive writing style does nothing to
add to your argument in my opinion, because IMO you were not using it in
conjunction with constructive logical arguments.  If you had, it would have
been a different story.

So - if you have something to say, say it in a way that won't gravely offend
people who are sitting on the other side of the fence.  EVERYONE I talked to
about this debate, in person and online, has been very upset by it.  They
also wish this debate would die.  I'm afraid you don't know how many you
have upset by your postings on the issue.  You weren't adding to your cause
then (you're starting to be constructive now, however), and you didn't make
a lot of friends by posting in that manner either.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114
AIM: TimCourtne