 Off-Topic / Debate / 6426
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 09:30:18 GMT

"Scott E. Sanburn" <ssanburn@cleanweb.net> wrote in message
   They are up a creek without a paddle either way if people continue • to
insist it is TLC's responsiblility to solve the racism problem in the • USA.
211 years worth of good ol' American know how hasn't put a dent in • that
problem,

This is got to be the funniest or at least the most pathetic statement I
have read yet in this never ending debate. The USA has done nothing in 211
years about racism? Yes, tere are problems, but I think it will get better
over time. Let's see what America has done, ended slavery, ended "separate
but equal", etc. Along with all the strides that Americans of African • decent
have made? Huh, interesting conclusion, and one I think is devoid of fact.

Scott S.

   Ah, Scott, Lugnet's voice of reason.  ;-P
   So you are telling me slavery = racism?
   These are different things.  Perhaps we have ended slavery, and perhaps
we have integrated public schools, and I hope there are fewer people today
who think of blacks as sub-humans than there were fifty years ago, but
racism itself is no less than it has ever been.  I guess you are just
talking about black people, most of whom are stilll getting a raw deal, and
not about the immigrants who come here and are called names they've never
heard before, right?  You are refering to the progress blacks have made, but
you make no reference to the progress our society has made towards ending
hatred, racism and all forms of prejudice.  You, too, are denying that
racism is strong although you KNOW its there.  You are making a choice not
to see, acknowledge or help destroy it.  Why?
   You say there are problems that will get better over time.  Indubitably,
but how?  By denying it, right? No no no no no no no no no
   We all know, or have heard, that racism is based on ignorance, and fear.
I hope with the internet, there will be a type of intellectual reawakening
in this country (well, if I am going to hope, I might as well hope for the
whole world!)   I hope that more people will be enlightened - will b
erelieved of ignorance and will see the plain insanity of racism (and hate),
including you, Scott.  What I said that you put me down for was not wrong,
Scott.  The fact that you scoff me so harshly for it should tell you
something about yourself.  It tells me you are pretty stubborn, unwilling to
change, and unwilling to hear anything but what you want to, mainly Rush
Limbaugh.  I like Rush - he is smart.  I just wish he hadn't sold out to
people like you, telling you exactly what he knows you want to hear, instead
of something true.

   Have fun!
   John