 Off-Topic / Debate / 6334
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:54:31 GMT

First, I have to say that I agree with practically everything that Dave
Schuler Writes in post 6299.
But, I have to point out some comments that i found to be disturbing.
Dave Schuler writes that "It's fine for a bunch of us to sit around discussing
the problems of minifig representation when we're not presented with a sizably
disparate perspective.  You [Tim Courtney] and I are two average caucasians
speculating on the problems of race, and I expect our experiences are markedly
different from other people in the world, not represented here on Lugnet, who
would nonetheless have valuable insights to contribute to the discussion."

  I may be a caucasian, but I am far from average.  As a Peurto Rican with a
light skin tone and an anglo last name, I have experiences with racial
identity that most people will never encounter.  I have tried to represent
this within my postings on this website, and I have tried to point out exactly
what Dave states in the above quote.  So yeah, i may make a few incendiary
remarks and even use an epithet or two, it's my method of illustrating the
above premise in a way that people can't avoid.  How many of the
aforementioned demographic have been called "cracker" to their face?  I'm sure
its disproportionate to the number of people on the other side of the fence
who have been called "nigger" (or worse) to their face.  Maybe I'm wrong.
I'll admit that i have no survey to back me up, but my personal experiences
have led me to this conclusion.  In short, I definitely count myself as one of
the lugnetters who is able to represent a different cultural experience than
most of the users of this site.

   Comments like Tim Courtney's ("Damien has provided suggestions, but they
have been motivated by an agenda and are not constructive in the least. [...]
I don't see a way to dismiss the rather offensive babbling that Damien has put
forth recently.  It was way out of line.  So, I'm here to listen, but serioulsy
[sic], his comments really cheapen this debate, and add to my negative opinion
of it.  Its not something that I can really help - it just happens.") attempt
to devalue my opinions and my expressive writing style.  Don't expect many
others to break from the lugnet norm if this is indicative of the treatment
that they can expect to recieve.

Damien, a.k.a. Vanilla X