 Off-Topic / Debate / 6428
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 20:29:01 GMT

(lugnet.general taken off the list)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
I wonder about this.  I tend to believe that no matter where you find
people, you find the same basic human tendencies.  One of those,
unfortunately, happens to be prejudice (not just limited to racism).

Unfortunately, yes. And certainly *not* limited to racism. This applies to
everything from clothes and artificial appearance to manner of speech, body
structure, certain ticks or subconcious movements (1).

I'm not trying to be a saint here - I can't say I don't do the same myself
sometimes (judge/form an opinion on people without knowing them). But I try
not to, and when I catch myself doing that, I remind myself the world does not
work that way. Some of my closest friends might not have been my friends if I
had judged them by first impression, and other people who I thought would be
nice turned out to some of be the nastiest people I've ever met.

<snip>

That's probably
complete bull, but just an example of how prejudice could be just
as prevalent in other parts of the world as in the USA.  The type
and prominence is probably just different.  Religious prejudice
certainly seems to run rampant world-wide.

Oh, most definitely. Come to Israel, I'll show you a little (err, a lot) of
that in Jerusalem; and then I'll take you up north, to the Galillee, where I
lived, and show you the paradoxes of having a town which is a combination (not
a *mixture*, though) of two settlements, one Jewish and the other Arab (both
Muslim and Christian). The two act under one combined city hall, yet they are
entirely seperate in other issues, study different curricula in seperate
schools, etc. The settlements are on different sides of a main road; they were
originally seperate.

I prefer not to even begin to talk about religious prejudice in Europe.
Antisemetism is still alive, and I really don't wanna get into that. Certainly
not everyone in Europe is antisemetic - not at ALL. But that doesn't mean that
it doesn't exist.

(uh-oh, I said I wouldn't begin ;-)

Another thing I thought of while reading this thread.  I noticed
that "minority" in the USA tends to almost exclusively mean "black".

Really?... I wasn't following the thread, so I don't know. For
me, "minorities" means a lot of things. Ranging from "black" to Jewish and
from Asian-American to "Native" American (surely not Indians, but hey, my sis
is native american - she was born here... <playin devil's advocate here>).

Dear me. I've rambled enough... things to do, places to see, homework to be
done...

-Shiri

(1) For example: what's your first thought when you see someone wiping a
finger under their nose repeatedly? I do that a lot in certain seasons, and
I'm really not on drugs. It's actually my allergies. But who could tell?