 Off-Topic / Debate / 6436
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:00:59 GMT

FUT lugnet.off-topic.debate, because this has less and less to do with Lego...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:

And with racism, its passed on from generation to generation - ever notice
really young children playing?  They don't care who they play with, what
skin color they are - to them, people are people.

You know, I hear this said a lot, but just to play decil's advocate, it could
easily be argued that small children also haven't learned that electrical
sockets are dangerous, so they stick their fingers in them, too.

Which is also an oversimplification, just in the other direction.

For a closer example, how children of differing genders relate changes as they
get older, too, but it's not often you hear someone decrying that as anything
but gaining experience and changing viewpoints.

I certainly don't claim to have a solution to it - nor have I much been
effected by racism, being a white male.

I would wager as a white male you've been more exposed to it than you realise
(or, one could say, you are *taught* to realise by our culture).  It does cut
both ways, and I'm not just talking about something as cut and dried as the
hackneyed "someone less qualified got the job because of racial quotas" thing.
The assumptions that people make about each other based solely on how they
appear- both aspects that the observee does and doesn't have control over- are
made by people about people thousands of times a day.

eric