 Off-Topic / Debate / 6315
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 23:49:32 GMT

"Bruce Schlickbernd" <corsair@schlickbernd.org> wrote in message
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:
Fine.  My views are political too, but I feel that politically, I'm • taking
the safe side.

In your opinion.  Perhaps you are right that it is the safe side, but I • don't
particularly view that as a good thing.

Then that is something that we just need to agree to disagree on.

And I don't feel that this (Lugnet) is the place to
challenge this notion - we can all see how it is detrimental to the
community and not fostering goodwill and constructive play.

Enough said.

Where else would one challenge Lego's policy but here?  You started this
particular thread in any case.

I started this thread to express my disdain about the way that the
discussion had been going.  I didn't have any malicious intent in starting
it.

I was talking to someone today from Lugnet and we were referring to how
people recently seem not to have many kind words for each other, and
unnecessary bickering continues.  I feel that this is another instance of it
(and yes, I have become an instigator, which was not my original intent).
But some of this bickering (this, and the 2001 sets, etc...) is wildly
unnecessary.  In the case of the 2001 sets debate, it wasted practically a
whole day of Todd's time defending himself and TLC, where he is working on
much more important things.  And there's the typical US-bashing which is
very tiresome and demeaning as well.

I'm not applying that [2001] debate to you - I didn't pay enough attention
to it to recall if you were involved there or not.

As to where to challenge TLC policy - here does seem to be a logical
assumption.  But one must weigh if it is beneficial to the group to
challenge a *particular issue* here.  Its a sore area, we've seen it.  On
both sides.  It seems because of politics that one side has the one-up on
the other too.  Which makes the situation pretty precarious.  That's why I
see Lugnet as an inappropriate place for this type of debate.

If TLC is to be addressed, why not address them directly, do research,
prompt a panel on it, and perhaps make the findings of the panel public, if
they are willing to do so.

If I wasn't mistaken, you were telling me what to do there.

As in, if you are going to misrepresent me, at least have the courtesy to • make
the response to me, rather than to someone else.  I'm sorry if it seemed • like I
was demanding a response.

I didn't have an intention of misrepresenting you either.  But we all see
that people get excited because of misunderstandings.

Could you
possibly imagine I didn't reply to that post because I didn't think it • worth
my time?

Is it?  You tell me.

I didn't find it worth it, mostly because I could see that I would get
nowhere.  My points wouldn't even be attempted to be understood, mostly
because of your references to the 50s, which were besides the point, and
rather insulting.  So, I decided I would not address them.

Or, that I had addressed the issues that were worthwile in other