 Off-Topic / Debate / 6316
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 07:00:55 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
If they even went so far as to make a pack of more generic (ie, not
representing Hugh Quarshie as Panaka, Sam "the man" Jackson as Mace Windu, and
Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian) minifig heads and hands availabel
through Lego Shop-at-Home, so that individual consumers could order as many as
they wanted, it would be a great thing!  Not perfect, of course, because there
are torsos that reveal yellow minifig "skin", but a good start, IMHO.
Perfectly analogous to the Duplo set 9171.

Speaking of <set:9171>, doesn't the figure almost dead center in the Pause DB
picture remind you of Spock?  The first time I saw it, that's who I thought
of.  Also, when I saw this set, I thought if LEGO can make a DUPLO set with
people of different races, what is keeping them from doing the same for
minifigs?

Anyway, I think that it would be a neat idea to have a pack of generic minifig
heads (and hands)!  That's a good way to avoid racial implications of any sort
in the sets they make, but still give a choice for people who'd like to see
other races.

On a slight tangent, does anyone know of any minifigs that represent REAL
people?  (Not a character in a movie.)  At Kidvention I saw one of Steven
Spielberg in the upcoming movie maker set.  Will this be the first?  Are there
any others?

--
  David Schilling