 Star Wars / 8636
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:22:38 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Low writes:

(snipping intersting comments that stand fine without need of further comments
from me)

Lego has basically four options:

1. If they don't make a bright yellow Lando or Mace figure, Lego has made a
racial statement and lacked the courage of their convictions.

2. If the public does not accept bright yellow Lando/Maces if they do come
out, then that should be a clue that they need to rethink their bright • yellow
policy.

3. If they come out, but not as bright yellow, then they have not had the
courage of their convictions, and they should rethink their bright yellow
policy.

4. If they come out with the figs and the public accepts them, then they are
vindicated (but since they avoid public explanation of their policy, what • are
the odds this will happen).  I think that if they really believe in their
policy, they need to bring these figures out in bright yellow.  Maybe they • are
right!

I'm not convinced that Lego needs to make a DSM to represent Lando or Mace
Windu. The characters are played by black actors, but just as in Legoland
human races don't seem to really exist in the SW universe. This is just my
POV, and some people may argue that the physical attributes of the actors are
transferred directly onto the fictional characters they play. Given that human
races really do exist in our universe, and Lego has taken to making minifigs
that represent real humans (eg Zidane, Speilberg), the DSM question isn't
going to go away.

I'm not convinced their needs to be a DSM (I'm just using the term out of
convenience, BTW) Lando or Mace, either.  Perhaps a standard yellow Lando is
on the way for the third year - Han didn't appear until the second year.  I
just think it would be wrong to try and dodge the isssue by not making a
Lando.

Bruce has stated the available options well. I sincerely hope that Lego goes
with option 4, and is fully prepared to support their action. Option 3, which
seems to be popular, is IMHO the worst possibility. What position would this
leave Lego in?

I just don't see option three happening unless they really are going to
rethink the whole all-yellow policy.  Personally, I don't think they are going
to break with tradition.  Option 1 is more likely than 3, but oddly sadder.

"Sure there are DSMs in the Star Wars universe, but they're just there because
there are black people in the SW universe. You see, white people are yellow,
and black people are DS. But there aren't any black people in Legoland, and
that's why the minifigs we've been making for nearly 25 years have always been
yellow. Because really, they're white."

The only DSM argument I find compelling is that the current lack of DSMs
discourages some kids from identifying with Lego, since they can't see
themselves in the place of the minifigs. But before they make DSMs, maybe Lego
can have a proper think about the patriarchal Aryan trash they market as
Belville.

--Dave

I don't know if it discourages them so much as they would be happier with
something "closer" to themselves.  I'm sure psychologists would have boatloads
to say about self-image and self-worth, but unlike when I was a child (when
minifigs didn't exist anyway) there's a lot more toys that reflect diversity
so I doubt there is as much (if any) impact.

Bruce