 Star Wars / 8626
8625  |  8627
Subject:
My 2 cents on the future
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 19:17:45 GMT

Hey all,

I think it would be great if TLG just started making multiethnic minifigs in
all their product lines without any hype or advertising campaign.  Just a
quiet acknowledgment of the varied skin tones that exist in our world.  The
one snag I can see would the difficulty of applying an agreeable color to
specific races.  Just given the historical representation of Asian
stereotypes in this country (USA), I can see where some Asian fans of Lego
might not appreciate being yellow.  Similarly, not all people of African
descent are brown, some are truly black.

Another potential problem that the introduction of multiethnic 'figs could
also pose would be an all-new and just as unending debate over whether or
not the faces should also be racially themed.  How best to do that without
resorting to stereotypes?  Look at the Indian minifigs from Wild West, they
certainly do not accurately represent any specific tribe.  It seems that the
greatest problem in establishing diversity in Lego would be how far to go?
How many races should be represented and how to do that without giving
offense?

While I totally understand that an all-yellow population can be interpreted
as exclusionary (and in some ways I agree wholeheartedly), I can also see
that with the introducton of diversity we might find ourselves still holding
discussions about the proper representation of that diversity.

To me, the best solution for now is still to get out the model paint and do
it yourself!

Dave